Monday 23 July 2012

Yesterday morning I decided to make (American style) pancakes for breakfast, as a family we love them. Now the best pancakes I ever tasted were in an Hotel in Vancouver - I thought I'd died and gone to heaven!  They were stacked really high and came with fruit and cream, I had them everyday we were there! I can't claim that mine come close to being as good, but they're not bad. So I thought I'd share the recipe that I use.


Ingredients

1 cup of plain flour.
1 teaspoon of sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg, separated
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Method

Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl, add cinnamon if you wish.
In another bowl or large jug, mix buttermilk, egg yolk, and oil, and whisk together.
Whisk the egg white till stiff peaks form. The quickest way to do this is with a large balloon whisk and using a large metal bowl.
Add the liquid to the dry ingredients but do not over beat as this will make for tough pancakes.
Fold in the egg white.



You should now have a nice thick batter. If you wish you can now add soft fruit of your choice. Blueberries, strawberries etc. Strawberries are my favourite and it's a great way to use up Strawberries that have gone a bit soft. Just slice and ad them to the batter, blueberries can go in whole.




 Using a good quality non stick pan (you don't need to add extra oil then) heat over a low to medium flame and add a tablespoon of the batter; I always cook two at a time.




These are about ready to flip; the batter has set, and bubbles are breaking on the surface.




As you turn them they will rise up in the pan. A couple of minutes on the other side and they're done. If they are still a bit glossy round the sides, they're not quite ready.




I always make double the quantity and it makes this many! About 24 I think, leftovers are popped in the fridge and reheated in the microwave.

Serve with a small knob of butter (I know, I know!), and maple syrup. Heaven on a plate!

Linda

2 comments: